| INTERNET DRIVING RECORD REQUEST -- AUTHORIZED USAGE
Chapter 123, Section 2721 of the US Code (Driver Privacy Protection Act) and NC General Statutes 20-43.1
require that personal information in DMV records be closed to the public. This refers to:
* Access to this information is further restricted by various state and federal laws.
- Driver License or ID number (also called customer number or control number)
- Phone number *
- Social Security Number (SSN) *
- Medical and Disability Information *
- Photos *
Personal information MAY be disclosed as follows:
- For the applicant's own personal record.
- For use in matters of motor vehicle or driver safety and theft, motor vehicle emissions,
motor vehicle product alterations, recalls or advisories, performance monitoring of motor
vehicles, motor vehicle parts and dealers, motor vehicle market research activities, including
survey research, and removal of non-owner records from the original owner records of motor
- For use in the normal course of business by a legitimate business, but only:
- To verify accuracy of personal information.
- To obtain correct information, but only for the purpose of:
- Preventing fraud by the individual.
- Pursuing legal remedies against the individual.
- Recovering a debt or security interest against the individual.
- For use in connection with any civil, criminal, adminstrative
or arbitral proceeding in any federal, state or local court
or agency (includes the execution or enforcement of judgements
and orders or court orders).
- For use in research activities and statistical reports, provided that personal information must not be:
- Used to contact individuals.
- For use by insurance companies in connection with claims investigation, antifraud activities, rating or underwriting.
- For use in providing notice to owners of towed or impounded vehicles.
- For use by private investigators or licensed security service for any purpose listed herein.
- For use by employers to verify information regarding CDL.
- For use in connection with the operation of private toll transportation facilities.